Colonel Davenport Historical Foundation
Based on a Federal Style, the Colonel Davenport House was built using technology known by a local carpenter. His method was to build the skeleton of the house as if it were a log structure. The logs were squared using axes and adzes and then notched to fit tightly against each other. Furring strips were then secured to the exterior, and pine clapboards were attached.
Later, more conventional building techniques of frame construction were used. East and west wings were added to the house. A kitchen wing on the south was added. A small porch ran the length of the house. Davenport used the west wing as an office. The house was the center of a number of buildings, as many as thirteen. These additional buildings acted as warehouses and storehouses for the trading network.
After the Civil War, the house deteriorated and eventually fell to the ravages of local souvenir hunters and vandals. In 1907, restoration began and the east and west wings were razed due to disrepair. In 1998, the Colonel Davenport Historical Foundation raised funds and restored the roof, siding, windows, front porch and west wing. In 2011, the Colonel Davenport Historical Foundation broke ground on the east wing.